A Boy Scout or Varsity Scout may earn the National Outdoor Badge for Camping upon successfully completing the following requirements.
- Earn the First Class Rank
- Earn the Camping Merit Badge
- Earn two of the following three Merit Badges; Cooking, First Aid, Poineering
- Complete 25 days and nights of camping-including six consecutive days (5 nights) of resident camping, approved and under the auspices and standards of the Boy Scouts of America-including nights camped as part of requirement 1 through 3 above.
- A gold device may be earned for each additional 25 nights of camping.
- A silver device is earned for each additional 100 nights of camping.
- A Scout may wear any combination of devices totaling his current number if nights camping.